Thursday, September 10, 2009

Verona

This Wednesday we all went to Verona. So far, the tour of Verona was my favorite city tour. We started the tour with a walk through the city gate, which I believe is from the medieval era. We were also able to go beneath the entrance, through some tunnels that were used to protect the city beneath the city wall. We then went to the Basilica of San Zeno, which is a large cathedral. It is my favorite cathedral that I have seen up to this point. From the main entry, you can see down to the crypt as well as up to the main alter (chapel). It is beautiful. (Side note: the crypt in this church was the one in which Romeo and Juliet died.) During our break for lunch, a couple of us walked by Juliet's balcony. I did not include any photos here, but we visited the Castelvecchio and the Banca Popolare di Verona both designed by Carlo Scarpa (I will have to do a separate blog for those.) The last image shows the Giardino Giusti Verona. It is a formal garden behind a palace. It was very pretty and green. It is on a hill, so toward the back of a garden, you actually climb stairs in a tower and arrive at the top of the hill and are able to look down on the entire garden as well as see a nice view of the city of Verona.









5 comments:

  1. Wow, how AMAZING that you are getting to visit so many places that are so historical and well known by the entire world! Is it awesome? I can't wait until you get home and I can look through ALL of your pictures with you!!! I love that you take a weekly trip somewhere with school! I miss you, but I am SO glad that you took this opportunity with UF! I am very proud of you and happy that you are getting to see so many amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your blog and the pictures are great. I check your blog every day to see if there is any updates. Love you, Grandpa Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie enjoyed your blog. Why did you like this city the best so far? I love you and also check your blog for updates.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. It isn't my favorite city, but it was my favorite tour because we saw the best buildings. We saw a really cool church and we also were able to tour a bank that is a real functioning bank, but it was designed by a famous achitect, and we got to take a private tour. Also we visited another building by the same architect. The Castelvecchio, a museum ( i will post another blog for the bank and this museum). The Castelvechio was really neat to see because we have been taught about it since we started architecture, and it is designed very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is REALLY neat that you are able to visit places that you have learned about!! :) I can't wait to read the blog and see pictures about the bank & the museum!! :)

    ReplyDelete