Sunday, September 6, 2009

Venice, the Sinking City

We visited Venice on Wednesday, September 2nd. It is a very unique city. Obviously, everyone recognizes that it has many canals, but there are some side effects for having so many canals. First, there are a ton of bridges; most of them have stairs, which makes it very difficult for people who are disabled. Also, no cars or automobiles of any kind are allowed in the city, therefore the streets are purely for pedestrians. Another strange fact is that there aren't any bicycles either, so the only mode of transportation is walking (or boat). It was very interesting to see the city, although it is very touristy. There are so many street vendors who set up stands that sell cheap little souvenirs.
We walked through the city on a tour led by one of our professors. He is acutually Italian, and he started the University of Florida Vicenza Architecture program about 20 years ago. So he knows the cities of Italy very well. The very first thing our professor showed us was a low-income housing area (I don't remember who designed it), but it definitely does not look anything like the low-income housing in the States (it looks much better!). After we saw the housing we saw a bridge designed by Santiago Calatrava and opened in 2008. We then continued our tour through the city, one of the images below shows the Doge's Palace, followed by a gondoleer in front of Querini Stampalia (designed by Carlo Scarpa), followed by an image of the Rialto Bridge, and lastly, an image that is typical of Venice.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Katie - I really enjoy your blog and being able to read all about your trip. I love the pictures. I was in Italy, of course that was around 50 years ago. Love, Grandpa Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks more like you're on vaction than going to school. You are expeiencing something that most of us only dream about and see in books. Please take good notes - You will be tested when you come back home.

    Love, Grandpa Addicott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Katie, the pictures you take are amazing -- I am so glad that you take so many and explain everything to us on your blog. It is so neat to read about your experiences and what you are doing!! :) I would love to see a schedule of all of the places you will be traveling in the coming weeks!!

    I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    Tom and I just saw the pictures and read your entry tonight. Thanks so much for keeping us informed. Venice looks beautiful! Will be looking forward to the pictures from Verona!

    Edna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie,

    I love to read and see the pictures of your experiences in Italy. Interesting facts I'm glad you are able to experience it. I love you!!!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katie,

    I'm so glad I finally made the time to read your blog...I'm loving it! Keep posting, and I love the pictures.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete